baa baa black sheep

8.23.2007

Girly Advice Challenge

9:30 a.m.

You guys. Help me out.

J's sister is getting married in L.A. in a month. It'll be a night wedding, and although the bride says it will be casual, the wedding party is wearing tuxedos and black satin dresses, and it's a night wedding. I went shopping with J and his mother this summer, and came home with a dress I would never have purchased for myself (his mom bought it for me because she thought it looked good and they both declared it to be hot) and I've become resigned to the fact that I will wear it to the wedding.

Girly Advice Challenge '07! I need some help with this dress. And you guys rock.

Here are some terrible photos I took of it this morning after my shower, so my hair is still wet. And the photos are awful, but I think you'll get the general idea of this dress.

It's long, and clingy, and low cut:





































Really low cut:





















I even have it tied up higher than it's supposed to be, I think. Boobs EVERYWHERE.











































My questions are:

1) Have you ever, you know, taped your rack for an event? To keep everything in place, maybe lifted a bit? I think I could go without taping, but it would give me peace of mind. Considerable peace of mind. Any boob taping tips would be AWESOME.

2) Have you ever worn any body shaping items? I'm specifically concerned about the hip area. This material is clingy. Clingy. Any, uh, tips there? Anything that won't make me feel gross or unsexy? Or uncomfortable? It's doubtful, right? Are body shapers even worth it?

3) Hair up or down? I put that photo of my hair sloppily back just so you can get the idea of up. (Remember my hair is wet here.) I have thick wavy hair, and it would be easiest to wear it down and sort of curly (we'll be in a hotel and I'll likely be struggling with travel-hair), but the dress has a low back with a halter tie around the back of the neck and I don't know if I'm supposed to show that or not. I'm still leaning toward down, but again, tips? Advice?

Ugh,
black sheeped

10 Comments:

Blogger Flibberty said...

Hair down, because you have thick, wavy hair and hair that nice should be allowed freedom; and have you tried Spanx? Target makes a knock off, but according to my sister, the guru of compression garments, Spanx are the end all of hip compression.

10:18 AM, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

Super sexy!!!!

Hair up. In a dress that cute, you need to show off the back of your neck.

I know nothing about taping the girls and body hugging things. I think you look great without one, but I have heard good things about Spanx, too.

10:35 AM, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

I like your hair down. You're flaunty a lot in front, so I wouldn't worry about the back so much.

I think the "girls" look good as is. I've never taped, but I wouldn't if I were you.

I've worn a fitted waist/hip trimming undergarment for a wedding before. I say it's not worth the money, and it was quite uncomfortable. But maybe Spanx would be better. I don't know. Unless it bothers you, I think the dress looks fine the way you modeled it.

And girl, you rock that dress. Hot is right!

10:44 AM, August 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look GREAT in that dress! I vote for hair down as well; if you put a sparkly hairpin or something in it, that will help draw attention from your boobage.

(Not that I have ever, EVER had to worry about too much boobage. I picked up my wedding dress yesterday after it was altered, and there is literally a two-inch gap between my sewn-in bra cups and my actual boobs. It's sad.)

I've heard good things about the Spanx as well. Let me know if you try it; I'm thinking about maybe getting one for a clingy red dress that's been sitting in my closet for 8 years.

11:14 AM, August 23, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:33 PM, August 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That. dress. is so. great.

I've never taped, but I've worn Spanx nylons and I really liked them. They're definitely THERE (like control-top pantyhose, but more so), but they didn't bother me.

Hair down makes the dress sexier, but almost TOO sexy, like lingerie. Hair up makes it more elegant, like royalty. At someone else's wedding, I'd go for elegant. But you do have great hair, and I think you could go either way.

1:10 PM, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think you fabulous in the dress! I showed my hubby for his opinion on the hair issue, and he says down. I like either way. And we both :) vote that you should let the girls hang out there. You're perky enough as-is!
Never tried the Spanx, but they do seem to be the ultimate in body shapers, so if you do it, do it right!

3:22 PM, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Black Sheeped said...

You guys are so nice!

Okay, the Spanx look awesome, but I'm super broke right now. Today I checked out some body shapers to see what they felt like in person. And was glad I did, because the ones? With the long waists, that are supposed to fall under your boobs? They would have gone up over my boobs, because I am short. I bought the cheapest waist-cincher thing I could find (seven dollars) and tried it on with the dress, and lo, it sucked in my hip fat. And felt not uncomfortable, but more like I was just getting a gentle hip-hug from a pair of granny-panties.

Maybe not sexy, but I felt more confident, and super way more confident that eyes will be on my rack and not my hips.

I also got tape to tape my dress TO my boobs so no unsightly spillage will occur. But I guess I won't tape them up or anything. Thank goodness.

Thank you for saying I look hot in that dress. I feel distinctly un-hot in it, and therefore am going only on what my husband and MIL have told me, so it was nice to hear. You guys rule and so does your advice.

6:40 PM, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

1) No, I've never boob-taped, so can't help you there.

2) Why would you bodyshape when your body is that smokin' hot?

3) I vote down.

8:52 AM, August 24, 2007  
Blogger AndreAnna said...

Hi, new to your blog (via Swistle), but have to echo the Spanx thing. When you can afford them, they are worth every penny!

And I'm a fan of updos when wearing any halter-ish type dress. I feel it follows the lines of the dress and makes you look taller and elegant.

But, it is a hot dress regardless!

6:30 AM, August 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com