baa baa black sheep

9.06.2007

Defective











7:40 a.m.

My stupid laptop, it is dead again. Only a year old, the power jack is again all screwed up. I've ordered another AC adaptor, hoping that that will fix the problem, but I'm pretty sure the power connector itself is the problem. My Google searching revealed that hey! Your computer might be so fried from this problem you need a new motherboard, and hey! Good luck getting one for under 600 dollars! This makes me angry, especially when I read that tons of laptops have this problem and it is blamed on a "design flaw."

Design flaw!

MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD CHANGE THE DESIGN.

Speaking of things that are no longer working correctly and therefore are annoying me horribly, the dog decided that since I bragged about his amazing potty prowess on the Internet he would just, you know, go ahead and start acting like a jerk again. It seems that squirrels (and even the possibility that squirrels could appear out of thin air) are more important than emptying his bowels. And I know they need to be emptied. They really, really do. Deadly fumes are wafting from his nether region. (You guys are glad I talk about my dog's poop, right? Lucky, even.)

On our walk this morning, in addition to making a jackass of himself while looking for squirrels, the dog got excited when we saw a cat following a few children to school. (We live close to a church's school of some sort.) It was obviously their cat, as they were yelling at her to "GO HOME, TRACY" (Tracy?) and she was all doing the persistent flirty sashaying kitty walk and pretending they weren't trying to chase her back to their yard. It was very cute and hilarious, as the kids stood there yelling and pointing while the cat lovingly plastered herself to their legs.

Aw.

Kitties.

I'm sort of worried about our evil cat. She's had a small dark brown speck in her left eye for a long time, and in the spring I asked the vet about it. She said to not worry unless it changed. Yesterday I noticed the dark speck had grown, and so I held her down, (risking my life, of course) pried open her weird little cat eyelid, and had a good look. The dark speck seems to be overtaking her entire iris, and I ran to the computer and quickly found lots of info on this, which seems to be precisely what's going on. We know she's at least 9 or 10 years old, and before we adopted her, as far as we could tell she spent a lot of her time out in harsh Wyoming weather with very little veterinary care. So it stands to reason that some older-kitty issues are going to pop up. (Plus, surely she's senile, because why else would she be begging for food two seconds after a meal or biting us for no reason? Other than her being evil, of course.)

The truth is, she's (partly) a very sweet and (nearly always) an affectionate little cat, and we love her a ton and have been thrilled to have her, ever since the day we moved to Wyoming and learned that a cat came with the house. She's part of our pet-infested family. She loves us violently. She's hilarious and ridiculous and awful and awesome, and realizing she is getting older and facing her mortality is sobering. And confusing--she's currently hopping insanely around the den chasing a cricket. Reading things like "the cat often dies from other causes before the melanoma gets serious" and "recommend the eye be removed" felt awful.

Love,
black sheeped

9 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

That sucks about your poor kitty. I hope she's okay.

And also, that photo is just gorgeous. They're so cute!

9:16 AM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger Flibberty said...

I will be thinking happy eye-sight type things for the kitty. Do you have a vet you like in your new town yet?

9:58 AM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

Oh, Monk. Hi IS related to Buster, I am sure of it. Last night Buster decided the thunder was just too much and he peed all over the carpet. Again. And once again I whipped out the carpet cleaner...

That is scary about Coltrane. I understand how scary it is to realize that someday these little members of our family will die. It is a terrible realization. I find myself hugging Buster almost violently, telling him he can never, ever get old. Ever.

Hang in there. Do you have a vet in town yet?

11:14 AM, September 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, your poor kitty!

The sooner you can get a vet to look at her and give you a true diagnosis rather than the worst-case-scenario the online sites give, the better you'll feel. I hope it's nothing serious. I hate when pets get older!

Abby's almost 13 and a few years back she developed horrible scabs on her chin that the Internet had me convinced were cancer. Turns out she had acne. And all we had to do was remove her plastic food bowl and replace it with glass (and coat her chin with antibiotic cream, which she then rubbed all over the couch).

Anyway, my point is that a vet can tell you what's really going on, so you don't make yourself sick with worry. If your cat absolutely hates going to the vet, you can call around and see if any vets make house calls. A lot do, but they don't advertise it. It costs more (naturally), but sometimes it's worth the price.

12:57 PM, September 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor kitty. Just looking at the picture of the cat eyeball made my eyes water.

I think it's sweet your dog and cat will lie together. Mine would rather die.

1:12 PM, September 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Stupid design flaw!

2) "Tracy" is a good and funny cat name.

3) That's so sad about your dear, evil kitty.

1:18 PM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger Marie Green said...

Oh, so sorry about your kitty. Sucks. Totally sucks. And, the fact that you risked your life to peer into her eye... that's lurve, man.

4:37 PM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

Oh poor kitty. I hope you can get her checked out soon too. I was thinking the same thing that everyone else already asked. Have you found a good vet in town yet? I know you had a great one before. I hope you find another. The dog...he'll come around with his potty issues...at least I hope so for your sake.

8:09 PM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger Black Sheeped said...

There's about, oh...one vet place here. They have many stables, as this is a farming town. We're taking the dog there for some vaccinations this weekend, so we'll see how they are. I'm pretty sure the vet would tell us we can a) wait and see and b) get it checked out every six months to make sure it's not becoming glaucoma or c) get expensive tests. For now, as long as it's not bothering her, we'll wait until she's due for shots. (She's not such a fan of vets, which is why we had a house-visiting vet in our last town.) She feels good and is as sassy as ever--today she spent a lot of time trying to play-chase me out of my studio (complete with fuzzed up tail and fake attacks) and creepily moving blankets around for no reason. If it looks like it's irritating her or getting gross or changes more, I'll drag her to the vet. I see no need to stress her out yet. It's just confusing that she's actually sort of old, you know? But still evil. EEEEVVVIIIL.

Pickles and Dimes--I knew a cat with chin acne once, who was allergic to his bowl. It was so weird. Kitty pimples!

10:28 PM, September 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com