baa baa black sheep

9.24.2007

California

9:51 a.m.

Hey, so, how was your weekend? Did you fly across the country to be in L.A. for less than 36 hours? Because we did! We certainly did! For a wedding! An L.A. wedding!

We met all the usual examples of self-absorbed jerks during our air travel experience, including That Jerk Who Throws a Hissy Fit Because He Wanted to Sit in the Exit Row, the Disgusting Making-Out Couple, complete with Inappropriate Tongue in Ear Action, and The Moron Behind Me Who Put His Feet Up On My Seat The Entire Flight. I don't know why people act like such dipshits when they fly, but oh, they do. I also cringed everytime I saw a couple with a baby, when invariably one parent was juggling the baby, all the baby paraphernalia, and luggage, while the other parent was walking along light and easy and perhaps sipping a coffee.

We had four different flights, and on every one we sat next to a parent with an Angry Child. I always feel bad for the Angry Child, because, dude. I want to cry angrily when I fly. I would sob too if it was not so "inappropriate." Flying sucks. I say, get it out, Angry Child! Yell all you want! Express your discomfort and enrage those stupid jerks who are tongue kissing six inches from me. Enrage that idiot who wouldn't stop having the cell phone conversation after being warned by the flight attendant six times. Make the guy with his feet on the back of my seat MISERABLE, Angry Child. Good for you! Thank goodness someone can express how TERRIBLE flying is. But, sometimes, I'm befuddled by the parents of the crying child. Like when the baby is an infant, and the parent keeps angrily hissing "Shhh. STOP IT. SHHH. QUIT CRYING." I remember one flight, when the baby next to me cried and cried and cried. After an hour, the kid looked at me. I smiled at him and waggled my fingers in a wave. He magically stopped crying. I smiled, he smiled. I did not touch him, I did not move anywhere closer to him, I just smiled. He laughed. Then the parents noticed what he was looking at and snatched him closer and turned his head so he couldn't see me. They hissed, "Don't look at her, what are you doing? Quit that!" The baby, of course, started wailing again and continued for the duration of the flight.

Flying is weird, is what I'm trying to say.

Oh, wait! I can't move on yet, you can't escape that easily. I have two more flying stories!

One is, when we got to our gate Friday afternoon, they announced our flight was delayed two hours. We got the text message saying it was delayed, every monitor changed to say it was delayed, the monitor AT our gate said it was now departing at 6:20. So after some people panicked and rebooked, I said, "Hey, let's get a beer" and J said, "Okay!" Several people from our flight went to the closest airport bar/restaurant. We ordered food, and sat for 15-20 minutes. Mid-meal, we heard an announcement that they were closing the gates for our flight, last call!

About ten people looked around, confused, and I ran to our gate to check. Because...what? The monitor still said 6:20, and it was 4:20-ish. The guy at the gate was all "LAST CALL GET ON THE PLANE." And I was all "IT'S TWO HOURS BEFORE YOU SAID, THERE ARE LIKE TEN PEOPLE IN THE BAR EATING." And he rolled his eyes and waved his arms around and was all, "WELL YOU BETTER HURRY UP AND GET THEM WE ANNOUNCED THIS HURRY UP I AM CLOSING THE GATE."

So I galloped back to the restaurant and yelled, "WE GOTTA GO THEY ARE CLOSING THE GATE, GO NOW!" and mass hysteria ensued. We all got on the flight, however, even though the gate guy was cranky. I like to think that my running and yelling abilities were put to good use, and that I prevented 8-15 people from missing their flights. In fact, I like to think that I saved the day. Perhaps I deserved a ribbon, or even a trophy. A trophy with an airplane on it or something, or maybe two airplanes. My ancestor, Patrick Henry, would be proud.

Except I think I'm confusing him with Paul Revere, but anyway. SOMEONE would be proud.

The other story isn't so much of a story, as much as it is just me leaving my cell phone in the shuttle in L.A. But the driver is mailing it to us. I tend to lose my cell phone a lot, and as I mournfully dug through my purse I told J I didn't deserve to have a cell phone. But, as I said, the driver found it and I'll have a phone again in roughly a week.

So! How about some photos, yes?

We saw a lot of this, in L.A. This is why I am not sure why people like to live there. I mean, we got stuck in traffic at one in the morning. This is what I will remember from L.A., along with the smell:

















This is how J feels about humanity:

















This is me with a really pathetic tree, struggling to survive in a parking lot. I was all, look, the wilderness!






















I hope I don't offend anybody. I'm just not the L.A. sort. I'm more the...other sort. Whatever that means.

Kisses!

We didn't really...go anywhere, or try to see anything, or even rent a car. We only had a few free hours until it was time to get ready for the wedding.

This is my awesomely cool husband, after we got all dressed up. Good thing he looked so fancy...he had to jump in and perform spur-of-the-moment ushering duties when someone didn't show. Look at how he is too cool for this suit! It is one of the many reasons I love him:






















He and my sister-in-law's long time boyfriend have a good time when they get together.

















Look! We're cute!



















This is me again, wearing my fancy dress.





















Me plus my sister-in-law, who was a bridesmaid. She is cute:

















More of these guys. They are each at least 6'5". Jerks.






















This is us, at the park where they took photos.






















It rained a little. This is the bride, J's sister, going to the van to get out of the rain.

















This is when they danced:






















These guys again! Constantly up to no good!


















This is more of my husband, who is really quite animated:






















And this is proof that I really can't be taken anywhere. I am obviously Out of Control, even in evening gown situations. Also, that is the SIL's boyfriend's arm and tie. Earlier in the day I offered to iron his shirt, and then retracted my offer because I am Lazy. So he ironed it himself. Anyway! It's too bad I was there too briefly to be discovered by some sort of celebrity type, because I obviously belong in the socially elite category:

















The weekend was fast and exhausting. We were happy to come home to this yesterday:

















Love,
black sheeped

15 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Tongue in Ear Action? In an AIRPLANE? Really?!

Also, I love your pictures. And way to go on saving the day for all those people on your flight.

11:16 AM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Sara said...

Gorgeous photos!

And you saved the day!!!

11:45 AM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Flibberty said...

Yay! You wore your hair down. Your hair is seriously gorgeous and I am jealous.

Also, I kind of feel the same way about Chicago as you do about L.A., but I fear for my life when I say such things. I guess I'm just not a city girl.

12:39 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

You guys looked awesome and you are always MORE than welcome to sit next to me and my "I don't know if they would be angry" children.

I'd like to know what the heck is up with airlines these day. You can stick your tongue inside someones ear but a kid makes a peep and gets kicked off.

Oh well, you rock.

1:53 PM, September 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that whole paragraph about people on the plane. So.funny.

Hey, you totally saved the day! And the gate guy was a total crab, considering how crazy the situation was! He should have been joining you in your heroic task. He could have said, "Okay! You run, run like the wind! And I will go tell them to HOLD THE PLANE!"

"Didn't deserve to have a cell phone" is funny.

Justin looks great in his suit! Totally ready to save the day himself as SuperUsher!

You guys look so great together. And you looked SO VERY AWESOME AND PRETTY AND STYLISH. I am rethinking all the ways I have looked at weddings.

2:21 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Tess said...

You are so, so, cute!

That plane situation was just bizarre. I can count the number of times my plane unexpectedly left way too EARLY on...ZERO hands. Weird. I like how he tried to turn it around on you, like, DUH, this happens ALL THE TIME.

3:20 PM, September 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you & the husband are hott. Way to be all swanky up in LA. I second Flibberty's jealousness of your hair.

Your flying rant was just about perfect. Flying sucks in epic proportions.

3:29 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

I hate flying too. I hate people on airplanes who have unreasonable expectations of children, and it is ALL I CAN DO not to make nasty comments to them.
Anyways! You looked so beautiful!

3:47 PM, September 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You saved the day - awesome!

I love your hair down with that dress. You look smashing!

3:50 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

You saved the day! And then J. saved the day! You guys kick ass.

When I am flying I can't stand the guy who is obviously so goddamn important that if he were to shut off his cell phone his entire company would go up in flames. That is why he must be yelled at by the flight attendant four times before he'll turn it off (all huffy, because, don't you know! He's holding up the world on his shoulders by the power invested in his cell phone.) And then, the very freakin' instant the plane touches earth again he is calling someone, letting them know that the plane has landed but no, he isn't at the gate yet but he'll call when he is. AND THEN HE DOES JUST THAT. Oh, dear god. I make it a point to avoid this guy at baggage claim because if I hear him reporting to his office, that, -- yes indeedy he is at baggage claim and can you believe it? He has to wait for his luggage?!?! -- I'd run over and beat the living shit out of him then and there.

GET OVER YOURSELF, MISTER SELF-IMPORTANT SALESMAN.

On a way happier note that is not so freakishly full of rage: You look so freakin' awesome! Both of you - you just look fantastic!

Oh, good grief. I miss you guys!

5:00 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Marie Green said...

You had exactly the kind of weekend I've been wanting- a crazy but ALL ADULT weekend. I'd even fly to LA to see miles and miles of pavement, if only to get an ADULTS ONLY weekend...

But you are right. Flying DOES suck. People are such super jerks when they fly. There should be some kind of humanities study on that...

5:29 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Mr. Pi and I have to fly to LA for a weekend wedding in 3 weeks. Thanks so much for the vivid reminders of how horrible the journey itself will be. The traffic. The smell. I wouldn't do it unless it was my sister and we already had our plane tickets in our hot little hands. Glad you mad it safely back.

6:12 PM, September 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once took my 15 month old nephew on a plane ride from Reno to Seattle and I couldn't believe how mean people were about it. I let him play and run around (while I ran with him) in the terminal to get out all his 15 month old energy out, and when we got on the plane a woman sitting two rows up from us asked the flight attendant to MOVE SEATS! To get away from us! It was all I could do not to rub it in her face that he slept the entire flight.

Also, you look awesome in your fancy dress!

6:55 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

Great update. Sounds like overall the trip was nice. LOVE the photos of you and J. You both look great. I love your dress and especially your hair down. I'm glad you had a good time.

7:39 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

We flew from Texas to Michigan last year and my purse fell over during the flight, and of course my phone fell out without me knowing. Once we were in baggage claim, I was searching for my phone and realized that its probably on the plane. Well anyways, the phone ended up in Virgina at a Sprint Store, so they were abel to send it back to me. Thank God someone turned it in! That was our Main "Home" Line!

8:15 PM, September 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com