baa baa black sheep

9.18.2007

Little

7:51 a.m.

Thanks to your gentle prodding (I'm sort of terrified of you guys) I dug around, found another mental health facility and called yesterday. When I called, they told me they needed to do an evaluation the day I called, and could I make the hour and a half drive that afternoon? So I mapquested the place, drove there, and spent about two hours being thoroughly evaluated/filling out paperwork on my Mental Health History. The employees were all very nice, and it made me feel good that they were actually getting my history. (As opposed to having me fill out a substance sheet, meeting with me for ten minutes, and unprescribing me from this and that all willy-nilly.) The nurse was very nice and chatty, and I? I am incredibly chatty, so the evaluation probably went way longer than necessary. She asked all the proper probing questions about my depressive and OCD tendencies, and had trouble fitting the summer stresses on the form, so I felt like things were thorough. The office procedures also made much more sense. I'm going to see an actual doctor there in October, and she told me if my meds were working, to go ahead and take them as my previous doctor prescribed.

So! I feel much better, and it is thanks to my husband's and your encouragement to go somewhere else. I would probably have gone back one more time, just to see. Plus, I can be a real wimp, so, good job guys. I was particularly frightened by the vehement response of this lady. Also, I laughed, because I miss her.

This morning on our walk the dog and I were "attacked" by a ferociously yipping, teensy eensy chihuahua. She was smaller than the squirrels Monk wants to destroy, and it was pretty obvious he could have swallowed her whole. She circled us over and over while barking and doing the dog-laughing pant, and Monk did not understand, and it was pretty hilarious. The dog's owner ran out of her house and tried to catch her, yelling "NOODLES. NOODLES. NOT EVERY DOG IS YOUR FRIEND, NOODLES! GET OUT OF THE STREET!" (Noodles! Hee.) It was much like someone trying to catch a very speedy and spry guinea pig with barking capabilities, and although I have never desired a mini-dog for my very own, Noodles was very entertaining. I still laugh when I think about NOODLES! and Monk sniffing noses, when Noodles looked like a wiggly sausage-y snack next to him. She was probably about 6.5 inches tall; this morning when Monk stood on his hind legs under the squirrel tree I remembered that he is about as tall as me. Oh, Noodles. Oh, Monk. BFF!

Love,
black sheeped

Edit: I forgot, I was going to say, in response to yesterday's comments: Those Soft Paws claw covers are something you do at home, not at the vet. We order them online to save a bit and to get the fancy colors, although they normally sell clear at PetCo and PetSmart. I wrangle the cats until I have them mostly immobile, and trim off the tips of their claws. J puts the glue in the claw covers and hands them to me and I slide them on, but you can also just fill the covers with the glue before you wrestle down the cat so they are all ready. I like having someone there to grab kicking kitty feet if necessary. Kitties are squirmy. And strong. The cats got used to them quickly, they're painless, and they save furniture (and the dog's e
yes). We found the best way to get kitties used to the covers is to be very persistent at first, and replace the covers as soon as they fall off. You only see one in that photo of The Roll because we had to order more, and hadn't put the new ones on yet. They're very easy--as a cover falls off, we just glue another one on. They stay on from 2-8 weeks. At least they do on our little jerks. Buy them! You will not be sorry!

SHE CANNOT BELIEVE I WOKE HER UP, GRABBED HER PAW, AND TOOK A PHOTO FOR MY STUPID, STUPID BLOG.
















Transitioning from blue to green. He didn't have to be pinned. He's like a cat model.

















11 Comments:

Blogger CAQuincy said...

So happy you found some other place to go in your neck of the woods.

And I meant to comment the other day that I swear just the day before you posted your message that I had read an article about adhd and ocd in women and how prevelent it's becoming and how it can be misdiagnosed as bi-polarism, etc., etc., etc. And since this was a magazine directed to MOTHERS and discussed MOTHERS, pregnancy is OBVIOUSLY NOT A CURE to those problems. Good GRIEF!!

I just haven't gotten around to tracking down the magazine (I can't even remember which one it was) to tell you about it. And shamefully, I keep thinking I already threw it away....

Anyway, so glad you listened to your online friends and are at a much better place now--where they are actually LISTENING to you.

8:53 AM, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Flibberty said...

Congratulations on taking care of yourself. That's a harder thing to do than it should be.

I laughed at your description of Noodles! I happen to own a Noodles of my own (actually two of them) and I so have been the owner-lady running out of her house and telling my Noodles! (Millie is her name) that indeed, not everyone will love her as much as she loves them.

9:08 AM, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Jess said...

Yay! I'm really glad you found somewhere that makes you feel much more comfortable, and actually takes your particular situation and history into account. I feel much better now.

10:13 AM, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

I'm glad you found a new place, too! I meant to comment yesterday but I am short on time this week!

10:17 AM, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

So glad that you found a new doctor. I hope this place works out well for you.

Noodles sounds like my mom's dog Oliver (he's a toy poodle and loves everyone).

The softpaws are so fashionable. The pictures are cute. I'd never heard of such a thing, until I saw it on your blog before. Although I don't own a cat, so I guess it doesn't matter much.

11:06 AM, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Tess said...

This is why I love blogs. I'm a "suck it up, buttercup" girl myself, so sometimes it pays get the internets involved.

12:15 PM, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Just a "Me Too" the general consensus that finding a Real Clinic to see you was a great move. It must be a huge relief for you not to have to worry about that now. Also, love the soft claws things. I am going to order some for Sissy, who is currently shredding a couple of items. Thanks for the tip. And I am really, really glad you found somewhere else.

1:49 PM, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Marie Green said...

YES! Good! I'm so glad you are not going back to that fool.

And I'm loving that you are blogging so much lately! I guess I missed you this summer, when everything was crazy.

Cats= so funny. Noodles= funny too!

7:06 PM, September 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) I am really glad! Now go leave a flaming bag of poop at the old place!

2) I LOVE those cat nail covers. I'm thinking of pink for our girl cat: she doesn't go outdoors like the boys do (her choice), but she does claw the carpets and the furniture.

7:33 AM, September 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SO very glad you went to a different place. Already it sounds like they are a million times better.

NOODLES - ha!

Those claw covers are really cool. We thought about them for Sunny (because when I got Abby, she was already declawed), but she hates having her paws touched and we didn't want an unfair advantage, so she got declawed.

Do either of your cats do that annoying *TIK* *TIK* *TIK* sound, where they're basically biting their toenails? Does that make the covers come off? Our cats do it all the time and it makes Jason want to climb the ceiling.

8:58 AM, September 19, 2007  
Blogger Pann said...

hi !

Swistle tipped me off that you had a good tip about soft paws. I just posted a long rant about my cat who's a bit "freaky" and I was considering soft paws as a solution to her scratching me. It won't stop her from biting, but that's another story.

CUTE paws you got there.

And good luck with the new mental health staff. They sound good. I was in a similar situation not long ago, I really empathize.

12:49 PM, September 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com