baa baa black sheep

2.10.2008

Whoops

Sunday morning, 5 degrees, windy. Cab is guarding the house, as usual, lying in his normal House Guarding Spot (the corner of the living room, where he can see the front door, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and out two windows). His eyes dart around, he observes my face every few minutes. Monk is sleeping in, as usual, snug at the foot of the bed where my husband is also sleeping. Jelly Roll is snoring behind me, his nose tucked under his paws and tail. Coltrane is downstairs, I can hear her scampering around clumsily.

I love when the house is quiet enough that I can hear ticking clocks, cat snores, soft thumps of cat paws jumping down from furniture. I am happy that though the wind is fierce and cold today, I am inside with the family I love.

Weekends are wonderful things.

Guess what! I have a medical adventure to share with you.

Friday, at my boss's pleadings/urgings (and after a week of people telling me how pale/sick I looked), I went to a doctor. Colds, strep throat, two strains of flu immune to the flu shot, bronchitis, and pneumonia have been hitting the town hard. Unsurprisingly, I was told I have a sinus infection. I was given some nasal spray, a prescription for five megadoses of antibiotics, and some literature on IUDs (I don't know, either). I went to the pharmacy, got the antibiotics, and got back to work around three. I looked mournfully at the gigantic first dose, noted that it was, in fact, truly GIGANTIC, and took it.

Then I sat quietly in an office and worked on pricing a job. Thirty or forty minutes later, my body decided to freak out entirely. I started sweating, retching a bit, my arms felt like they were on fire. I was dizzy, confused, and I don't remember much except that I know I stumbled to the work bathroom and laid on the floor. My throat got tight and it was hard to breathe. A while later, a co-worker came in, and helped me up, but I fell back down. I don't remember much from that pleasant half hour, except that I felt very very sick, and that someone talked about calling an ambulance and I shrieked "NO NO NO NO," and I couldn't remember my husband's phone number, but then he was there and he looked so bright. He got me to the car, and we went to the emergency room (the only thing I clearly remember is that when he lifted me up, I saw where I had been laying, and there was a big wet place where the sweat had soaked through my sweater and tanktop, damp and gross on the dirty work bathroom floor).

Then I was in a wheelchair, and some nurses gave me a plastic cup of Benadryl, and observed me for 45 minutes or so. I felt better, just tired and shaky. I was instructed to take Benadryl for 24 hours, and to not take anything from that family of antibiotics again. Even better, I was told I shouldn't take any antibiotics for at least a few days, in case my body flipped out and started developing allergies to more.

So, still have sinuses full of doom, still look "white and sick," still have a low-grade fever, BUT! Now I have something to say when asked if I am allergic to any medications. "YES," I can declare, and feel smug about it.

Or not, but let's look on the bright side.

Also, everyone I work with who was there Friday afternoon called yesterday to see how I was doing, and I thought that was very nice. I feel vaguely embarrassed that they saw me disoriented and sweaty on the bathroom floor, but that is just me being weird and not wanting to show vulnerability, and also not wanting to leave sweat puddles in public spaces.

I really know how to wrap up a work week! That is what I am trying to say. Kara = Queen of Work Week Termination Drama. Thank goodness it was casual Friday, because can you imagine sweating on a public restroom floor in dress slacks and heels?

The horror!

And because I have only mentioned it five billion times: sweat on a bathroom floor.

Love,
black sheeped

Edit: Awww.

El-e-e gave me this:










Pixel gave me this:














Up next: Ruler of Everything Award!

But first, I think I am supposed to pass these on? Is that how this goes? How about...Blog Buddies to Miss Scenic Overlook, because she is buddy-riffic, and Spreader of Love to Marie Green. Because a lot of her comments are just so ridiculously nice. (In a good way, obviously.)

Bloggy love to everyone!

16 Comments:

Blogger artemisia said...

Oh, God - OH, GOD!! That is terrible.

I'd be all sorts of embarrassed, too. But! I am really glad there were people around to help get J and get you to the emergency room. Holy shit, K.

Your morning sounds lovely. Mine is quite similar, except the dogs have started barking in the back yard and A. is still sound asleep. I've already gone into town and back, and THERE IS NO WIND.

It is so, so wonderful.

I am off to make some pancakes. Feel better soon, my dear!

9:37 AM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

Yikes! I'm so glad you're fine...what a crappy way to "fix" a sinus infection :P

9:54 AM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Shannon said...

I would have been embarrassed in your situation, too. Although, if I saw you in that situation, I wouldn't have thought embarrassing thoughts about you. Does that make sense?

I hope you are feeling better soon!

12:04 PM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Marie Green said...

Wow, that really is awful. And the things, like the sweat on the floor- those things really stick to us, huh? Even though it's likely that the sweat dried so quickly no one else even noticed. Still, WE notice those things.

The human brain can be such a jerk.

Also, it was NEGATIVE TWELVE DEGREES when we got up this morning.

We are staying inside too. Except, I have to go to the store. After I blow dry my hair, CLEARLY.(It's now only -9!)

12:28 PM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Swistle said...

OH DEAR!

2:02 PM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Jess said...

Oh no! That is so scary and upsetting. I'm glad that you got to the ER without having to pay for an ambulance and that everything is okay. And now you have a cool story to tell. I'm sure your coworkers are totally understanding--witnessing a horrible allergic reaction to a medication like that was probably scary for them, too.

6:50 PM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

Oh man, that stinks. I'm so glad that you're feeling better though. And doesn't this cold suck? It's a whole 3 degrees here right now. And schools are already delayed for tomorrow. Ugh. Stay warm, and I hope that your sinus infection goes away quickly.

10:22 PM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Banana said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! I would have absolutely freaked out. I'm glad you are OK and it sounds like your co-workers really care about you, which is nice. Hope you feel better.

11:40 PM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger el-e-e said...

Wow, that's a not-so-casual Friday! You're so funny -- sweat on a bathroom floor!! The horror of such a thing. You have nice coworkers.

Hope you're feeling better.

9:04 AM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Pickles and Dimes said...

Kara, if I saw you in that situation, I wouldn't think anything bad about you. In fact, I'd be embarassed myself, like I hadn't done the correct things to help you, you know?

I hope you're feeling better, and I'm so glad you were at work when you started feeling sick rather than driving home or something equally scary.

(And the sweating thing? Whenever I feel nauseous, I get the same way. It sucks. Also, my lips turn gray, which is about as attractive as it sounds.)

9:24 AM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Sarah said...

This whole story sounds just horrific, but I had to laugh at the end when you talked about feeling smug because now you have a drug allergy. I always wanted one, too, just to sound extra fragile and special!

10:07 AM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Saly said...

Holy CRAP I am glad you're ok!!

I don't blame you on refusing the ambulance. I have strict orders in here that I am not being wheeled out of here past the entire building on a stretcher. Oh hell no.

I hope you're feeling better today

11:47 AM, February 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, that's sounds horrific. My dad, sister, and I are all allergic to penecillan and all of it's family. I think my sister and I only got a little sick from it, but my dad was 25 or so when it gave him a full body rash and made his hair fall out...it never grew back either!

1:15 PM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Shelly said...

How frightening! Like everyone else, if I were your co-worker, I would not think anything bad about you. I would only be concerned about you. We had a girl come in for an interview once and pass out. We were very concerned about her, and we didn't even really know her.

1:15 PM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Penny said...

yikes, and wow, and all the things the previous posters have said! And also chuckle, chuckle at the puddles in public places bit. Don't the weirdest thoughts run through your mind when you're in major pain?

8:27 PM, February 12, 2008  
Blogger Beth said...

Gee, Kara, that's serious stuff, allergies, etc. The whole passing out, throat closing thing is really serious. I'm glad you got to the ER and they got you sorted out.

Don't worry about the sweaty floor. When you see someone passed out on the bathroom floor, you don't take time to think about anything but helping them.

3:56 AM, February 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com