baa baa black sheep

10.16.2007

Update

Quick dog update, not that this is probably interesting to anyone but myself and maybe the dogs: Cab is doing beautifully. Everybody is adjusting well to the new member of the family. Monk is having the hardest time, but only in that he's exhausted from getting to Play Constantly, and the two dogs are so similar that they're having trouble figuring out who will be dominant. Not that it matters to us, because they are both bellow the humans and cats, but I suppose there is a difference in their doggie brains between fifth and sixth place. The doggie duking out consists of the following: wrestling, some humping, tug of war, and some very minor food confusion. These things are no big deal. We're not worried and they'll figure it out eventually.

Cab has kennel cough (Monk was vaccinated last month, so he's safe) but he's eating and active so it'll run its course. He also has some old flea bites that itch him (we Frontlined him up and those will heal, and we're watching them for infection), and a cut on one foot that is healing. He's malnourished (but is not complaining at ALL about being fattened up). Something...strange went on with his neutering, I think (we suspect a weird home job was attempted at some point) so we'll get that checked out sometime. He went to the vet twice in the last month for real neutering and shots, so he may just be healing.

Cab is sweet and very, very gentle. He likes food, playing with Monk, and...playing with Monk. He's smart, but has the tiniest bit of a stubborn streak. He doesn't jump, is house trained, and half-way knows sit and down. Training him may take a bit, because of that little bit of stubborness, but he responds well to food and praise. Honestly, I can't imagine why someone would give up this big sweet guy, unless he escaped during a walk. He knows how to lower his head and twist to try to get the collar/leash off (what a jerk, right?), so that might have happened. It would also explain the skinniness.

So! Overall, he's playful but gentle (I can not emphasize the gentleness enough), stubborn but smart, and very sweet and loving. He seems sensitive to his surroundings, but also goofy and fun-loving and panty. He's very lovable, and we're thrilled with him. My guess is that he will eventually weigh in between 85-100 pounds, but we'll see.

Love! Him!

Kisses,
black sheeped

8 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

This IS interesting to the rest of us, or at least to me. He sounds like a great dog and the perfect fit for your family. I'm glad things seem to be working out with this one. And also, I want more pictures.

8:08 AM, October 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many more pictures, pretty please.

9:42 AM, October 16, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

I love hearing about successful dog adoptions! I'm glad he is fitting in well with the family. Congratulations on a good match!

9:52 AM, October 16, 2007  
Blogger Marie Green said...

Awwww, sounds like you found your guy. I'm very happy for you!

And I never got the chance to comment on your last post, but you did the right thing taking Fred back. You are right that you can't live with a dog you fear, and right that she wasn't where she wanted to be. I have so much respect for you for being able to see that and fix it. Kudos!

Also: Cab is an awesome name! =)

10:42 AM, October 16, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

Woohoo! The family sounds like it is as it should be. Cab sounds wonderful. I can't wait to meet him.

I think you did the right thing with Fred, hard as it was.

12:41 PM, October 16, 2007  
Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

Cab is perfect for you. I'm so happy to hear that he's doing well. What a great fit!

1:04 PM, October 16, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Cab sounds like he's fitting right in. And he does sound like a big happy lug just learning his way around the house. I'm so happy he's fitting in. I agree with Jess -- more pictures!

9:10 AM, October 17, 2007  
Blogger Sara said...

Yay for a good match!

3:00 PM, October 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com