baa baa black sheep

10.08.2007

Messy

7:10 a.m.

This morning it is raining and not in the upper 80's or low 90's, and it feels very much like fall. Thank goodness.

Did you have a nice weekend? After the dog blow, which felt very much like someone breaking up with us, (I particularly loved Swistle's comment, which is precisely what my husband said when I told him the news) we spent our weekend going to see J's parents for his birthday briefly and then coming back here to dig our way out of piles of dishes and laundry. We weren't there long, but somehow we were there long enough for them to decide to hack a tree out of a ditch and make us bring it back here, so we could plant it in our yard. Which is cute and nice, but it's October and the tree received some pretty big root damage in the hacking. I'm pretty certain it didn't survive the four hour drive back in the trunk. Now it's pathetic and wilty in our back yard, all Charlie Brown Christmas tree reminiscent. Another highlight of the weekend was getting stuck in traffic on the highway (due to a really horrible flame-ridden wreck less than a mile ahead of us, which, ugh, terrible) for around an hour and a half, during which time people got out of their cars and acted like general jackasses. At one point I did make a quick jaunt into the bushes/weeds by the highway because I seriously thought I was going to wet my pants, but I realized that everyone was staring at me and there wasn't enough cover, so I whimpered and galloped back to the car and held it, because I am an adult. Another highlight was when the dog people emailed again yesterday to offer the names of some shelters in their town, and to say, again, good luck with our search. Hmph.

That really was about it, other than trying to clean up the mess that happens when a) you live in a tiny house and b) you are ridiculously busy for a week. I remembered, Thursday evening, when I crawled into bed and the contents of drawers were spilling onto the floor, of which no actual floor was visible, and the dishes were precarious, and everything was messy and chaotic and tumbling and stacked everywhere, that I really really really like having a wreck of a house. I don't know why I spend so much of my time battling my natural tendencies to be a big fat slob, but I do. I think it's partly to prevent losing crucial items at crucial times, and it's partly to be sanitary, and it's partly because, geez, I can't live how I'd like to because that would be in squalor. So I battle nature, and attempt to keep everything clean, or at least tidy. However, Thursday night when things were truly in chaos, I felt myself sighing a little happy sigh of contentment as I fell asleep while looking at the huge mess on the bedroom floor.

Love,
black sheeped

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

The end of this post is great. I feel the same way sometimes. It can be nice to just collapse on the couch while everything around you is a mess. Until the part when you're having guests and you have to clean it all up.

8:28 AM, October 08, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Yep, some messes are made to be ignored until you can tackle them. And I even have a sudden guest strategy--closets and under the beds. We just don't let people open closets in our house. Ever. And be a little more optimistic about your little tree guy. Maybe he/she will make it through the fall and winter just fine. Mulch it up a bit before winter and if you can, wrap the trunk with that stuff (you can read my mind--you know, that stuff) that makes it so deer and beaver and neighborhood cats don't chew on the tender bark. That stuff. If I had money I'd make a bet that your new tree is going to survive and thrive.

9:01 AM, October 08, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

Messy is SO GOOD sometimes. Even cozy!

10:26 AM, October 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is very cute, that you like a messy nest.

I hope the little tree makes it! We planted a tree in our yard this summer, and the guy said "PLENTY OF WATER, THAT IS THE KEY." We watered it by putting the hose right at the trunk, turning it on just a trickle, and leaving it on for HOURS.

1:32 PM, October 08, 2007  
Blogger Flibberty said...

I'm really sorry that the doggy didn't work out, but I was struck by what an amazing thing you guys did getting those people to realize what a great dog they had!

It's fall, which is a time for nesting and cozy mess making. Spring is for cleaning.

3:43 PM, October 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com