baa baa black sheep

10.04.2007

Dogs

7:11 a.m.

Oh, fine, I'll talk about DOGS. My LEAST FAVORITE subject, ever. Last night we went to visit the dog. He's very fabulous. Sunday he and his current owners are coming to our house (we live an hour from them) to see how he gets along with our dog. (That photo, by the way, made me cackle with laughter, and I think that dogs + medications = cure for depression. Someone should tell a doctor about the secret dog ingredient.) And then we may adopt him. Actually, we really want to adopt him, but it all depends on how the people feel about us and our home, so we'll see. Cross your fingers for us. I'm trying to not get excited, because I don't know how it will all go. He's half blue heeler and half pointer, and the owners are giving him up because they feel they don't give him enough attention, and that he's not getting affection. I think he doesn't spend much time with the family. He's two years old, smart, sort of chewy and jumpy, and would need some retraining, but it wouldn't be a big deal. Our pets are sort of with us c-o-n-s-t-a-n-t-l-y, so I think he'd have fun with us.

He's awesome. Smart, smart, smart, super energetic and healthy, used to cranky fat cats, and beautiful. By the end of the visit, he seemed convinced that belly rubs are a good thing, and he was leaning on me and doing the dog-laughy-face thing in my face, which was a good sign. I was worried at first he didn't have a doggie sense of humor, but by the end of the visit I saw him laugh at me a few times. (He had seemed pretty intense and aloof, which I know can be typical of the breed.) So! Obviously, I already love him, but, again, we don't know yet for sure. (Do you like how I'm all, "We may adopt this dog, I'm not getting excited about it, though. I'm not excited at all. I LOVE HIM WITH ALL MY SOUL."?) (I didn't know how to punctuate that.)

I've been wanting another dog for, oh, about forever. I seem to be happiest when surrounded by animals, which must be such a joy for my husband. I check various websites constantly, as we wanted a medium size, young(ish), athletic, energetic, cheerful dog that would be good with a) dogs and b) cats. This guy would be a good, good fit. EVERYBODY SEND GOOD DOG VIBES OUR WAY.

So! That's all I know! Also, that there will be much mutual dog butt sniffing on Sunday, and it will probably be glorious (for the dogs, of course).

Wait! The other thing I know, is when, in your new office, they post an office machine wish list (what?), starting a long conversation with your new boss that you wish you could put "time machine" on it will not make you seem "cool." In fact, it will probably make you seem "dorky" and "foolish," especially when the conversation leads to the bathing habits of people in the 1850's.

Today is my husband's birthday! I love him a ton!

I love you all too, duh,
black sheeped

Depressing Edit, 12:50 p.m.

Just got a really long email about how the owners, when they saw how much fun we had with the dog, decided maybe they should recommit to him because they remembered that having a dog can be fun. So they're going to keep him, and they're very sorry we drove there last night to visit him.

Bleh.

16 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

I'm so jealous. I swear I cannot stand living without a dog for another minute. And yet, it will probably be over a year until we move somewhere where pets are allowed. It's killing me.

Anyway, I hope everything works out with this dog! He looks like a sweetheart.

8:31 AM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

I laughed at snow dog, too. Awww, and aloof dog looks like he needs a good ear rub.

I want a dog, too. I chose children instead, for the time being.

Good luck with the dog meeting! My fingers, toes, and hair are all crossed for you!

Happy Birthday to the Husband!

10:15 AM, October 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is his name? And does this mean I will get to meet him when I am a house guest?

Love,
sister.

10:23 AM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

He is so adorable. I think he and Monk will get along fabulously.

You sound better. Are you feeling better? Miss you.

By the way, my favorite part of your entire post was, "He's very fabulous." Not just fabulous, but very fabulous.

Oh, I hope this adoption comes through and your whole family celebrates!

12:18 PM, October 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, J! Perhaps you would like a DOG!

12:31 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Sara said...

Awww, such a cute doggy face. I hope it all works out for you. We can't wait to get a dog either, having lost ours to old age almost 2 years ago now. We're waiting til we're done remodeling though, which may be never at the rate we're going.

Til then, we have these little guys

12:40 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Black Sheeped said...

They backed out, so, sorry for all the excitement. They said when they saw how much fun we had with him, they remembered that owning a dog can be fun, so nevermind and maybe they shouldn't have listed him on Craig's List.

Sigh.

12:56 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Jess said...

Oh no. They sound like fickle owners who will enjoy the dog for a week or two and then get sick of dealing with him again. Hopefully if that happens they will get back in touch with you, because it sounds like you would be a much better owner for this dog.

1:38 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

Oh, my heart is breaking for you! I agree with Jess. I KNOW you guys are The Best Pet Parents in the World.

I am really sorry, K.

1:46 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Tess said...

Oh, sorry about your doggie.

1:58 PM, October 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no!!!!! I'm so sorry. But good for his family I guess for re-committing to the dog (hope they don't change their minds again in 3 months). BUT, the good news is that there are always dogs looking for homes and the right dog WILL find you.

Your pooch in the snow is awesome! Having a dog to play with in the snow is like being a kid all over again. I miss it terribly.

3:01 PM, October 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re Depressing Edit: OH! That is SO BAD! As soon as they saw their boyfriend happy with someone else, they got jealous and wanted him back!

Well, maybe they'll take him back and find they don't want him any more than they did before. I'd answer back saying how much we loved the dog, and how they should contact us if they reconsidered.

4:36 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry you didn't get the doggie! Have you checked the local animal shelter? That's how we found our lovely dog. (I'm not happy with him today, so the lovely was forced.) But I think if we were to do it again, that's where we would look first and probably last.

Happy Birthday J!

7:16 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Marie Green said...

Those dog owners are WEIRD. They've had the dog for 2 years, but it took YOU coming to have fun with THEIR dog for them to "remember" that having a dog is fun? That is just... unstable or weird or... I just don't know.

I wanted YOU to have that doggie!

Now I'm MAD.

Gaaaa.

9:41 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

What idiot dog owners. They remembered it "used to be fun?" I think you should hold them to some verbal (made-up) contract and threaten them with a doggie suit, in which you will not only get the dog but any pieces of cool furniture that said doggie will not be able to live without.

These people don't deserve your doggie.

11:01 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Banana said...

Oh no!! Sorry about Dog.

Also, Happy birthday J!

2:09 PM, October 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com