baa baa black sheep

11.23.2007

Full

Wednesday it snowed and snowed, and I had a meeting go late at work, and my parents had to drive on icy roads to get here, but they did. Thursday we ate turkey, took naps, watched Christmas specials, and talked a lot. My mom told me it was probably the best Thanksgiving dinner she'd ever had, and I think we had a fun day. She also helped me pull up a bit of carpet in the living room, and it turns out there is a beautiful hardwood floor underneath. (Which is annoying, because now I will want to rip out carpet.) Friday morning my sister left with my parents, and then my husband and I had to jump my car in the snow because it was dead.

We spent the day eating leftovers, having quality couple time, etc. We went to the grocery store and didn't buy much; we went to another store to buy foam and polyfill. We went to the farm store because I like going there. I took a nap on the living room floor in front of a space heater, while the dogs snoozed behind me. We made a list of what to buy people for Christmas. We worked on dehumidifying the upstairs, because the house has been freaking out and the old oil paint in the bedroom has been separating and bleeding brown down the walls. We've now got it fixed until the electrician can come and help us vent everything out properly. We brushed the dogs, and trimmed their claws. I made a dog bed. We put up the Christmas tree, took photos, drank cocoa, did laundry, watched a lot of Curb Your Enthusiasm (as usual), and went to bed.

This morning the dogs slept late (7:40) and I got to lay in bed and cradle Jelly Roll in my arms (he's such a fat lazy loser; also, cuddly) and be sleepy and wish I didn't have to pee, because if you get up to pee the dogs wake up and go crazy. I put away laundry and J made breakfast and now I need to re-clean because his parents and sister will be here this evening. I also want to do yoga, shower, and mess on the Internet a lot. I'd also like to give Jelly Roll a bath because he is gross, and put new claw covers on the cat's claws.

Photos?














Monk's life is horrible:


















Ornaments:












Ten points if you know what J's shirt is referring to, without Googling it, of course:
















Cab's old flea bite scars on his head are finally starting to get covered with fur. We made the weird discovery last night that his previous name might have been "Motherf*cker." At any rate, someone called him that enough so that he thought it was his name. But he also knows Cab is his name, so we're sticking with that one.

His life is also horrible, obviously:




















Putting up the Christmas tree is SO EXHAUSTING:















Coltrane, being creepy (also, yes, in response to the question from last time--she is just as bitchy and weird as every other tortoise shell I have met):
















I've been worried about Monk's leg/hip a lot the last few weeks, and have been trying to find a good deal on an orthopedic bed for him for several months. Because he is big (80 pounds), I'd need an extra large one, and they range in price from 99 to 259 dollars, which is a lot of money. Plus I wasn't thrilled about any of them, and didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that might be total crap.

So Thursday night I started and by Friday night I had made a dog bed. It took a while to sew because I don't have a sewing machine, and also I suck at sewing, but this is functional. It's the size of a twin mattress, so both dogs fit comfortably on it. Dog beds are rarely so large, and they seem to really love being able to stretch out completely on it. We stuffed it with foam, like the orthopedic beds I was looking at, plus an old comforter, polyfill, old towels, etc. I like knowing what's in it, and knowing that there's enough foam in it to really cushion his joints. It's quite cushy, and Monk is in love with it.

In love!

The best part is, I made it for under 30 dollars.

This is Monk testing it out before I was finished sewing it:
















This is after it was done. The dogs are doing a cuddle test. This was a highly scientific test, very rigorous:
















I think it met their very high standards. In fact, just now Monk started growling insistently (not mean growling, the other kind of growling where he is telling us he wants something--usually it means he needs to poop NOW) at us, and it turned out he wanted us to put the new bed in the den where we were sitting. He wouldn't even lay in his chair last night. He's too happy about the new bed.
















Totally unaware that he reeks and needs a bath:















Nothing else to report, except that it's a full moon and the dogs are bad today. Perfect for visiting relatives.

How was your Thanksgiving?























































Love,
black sheeped

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Sounds like you are having what I would consider the perfect holiday weekend, with family time and together time interspersed. The dog bed is marvelous! I can't believe you made it by hand. And apparently Monk and Cab think it's a hit too. Your tree is beautiful. We haven't had a tree in years because the cats are always killing the ornaments on the bottom third, and then they knock it over. Maybe this year I'll try again.

So glad your holidays are so great!

1:35 PM, November 24, 2007  
Blogger Marie Green said...

Your tree is beautiful, your doggie bed kicks ass, and Monk is so funny all "decorated" for Christmas.

Glad to hear you had a good holiday...

1:54 PM, November 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am green with envy over your dog bed skills.
Your tree IS gorgeous.
We have those same wooden beads that are helping decorate the wreath & Monk.
I love how snuggly your dogs are. As I was looking at their adorable pictures, it dawned on me that neither our cats or dogs sleep snuggled with one another. I guess we have anti-social animals?

2:40 PM, November 24, 2007  
Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

Your doggies are SO cute. I love that one of Monk with the wreath on his neck.

Also, I'm mystified by the shirt. I see that it says "goblin" backwards, but other than that...no clue.

And I'm immensely impressed with the dog bed. I cannot believe you sewed something that big by hand!

Finally, thanks for the tree pics. I LOVE Christmas tree pics :D

10:48 PM, November 24, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

That must be so satisfying to know you made the doggie bed that the pups LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Awesome!

A. would be jealous that you have the tree up already; I wanted to wait until at least December 1 and he is a bit sad about it.

Have fun with the in-laws!

7:00 PM, November 25, 2007  
Blogger Jess said...

I'm so impressed with the doggie bed! And so glad they like it. And also, that is so, so sad about how Cab responds to that name. I'm so glad he has people like you now instead of people who called him that.

9:35 AM, November 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com