baa baa black sheep

11.09.2007

More

I really want to talk more about yesterday's post, because I have Things To Say, probably. But that will be a Major Blogging Time Committment, best left for Sunday afternoon. It's not good to attempt such posts when you have to leave for work in twenty minutes and you aren't wearing shoes yet and the dog still needs his medicine and you don't know where your keys are.

So!

More on that later!

In other news:

1. Where the hell did this week go, but also, why does it take Friday SO LOOOOONG to get here?

2. Is it lame to buy your winter coat at Target? Because I really like this color. But also, I'm sort of afraid to buy my winter coat at Target. Also, I don't know if I like that style. But maybe I do.

3. Coltrane has made a triumphant return to sleeping with us at night. She's decided Cab will not eat her, so for two nights she has made the dangerous journey up the stairs, through the hall of sleeping dogs, and onto the bed where she must hiss and growl at the already fat/snoozing Jelly Roll. After this wakes the dogs up and Jelly Roll gets confused, while remaining fat, she must walk all over us for a long time, and then plant herself either between my legs or between J's legs (whichever would be most uncomfortable for us). Then she has to radiate temperatures of roughly 600 degrees, and if whoever she is laying on moves or shift, she must bitch a lot, growl, possibly bite us, or swat at Jelly Roll a few times. Meanwhile, Jelly Roll plants himself up against my shoulder/face or my stomach, purrs squeakily, snores, and radiates temperatures of only 400 degrees.

4. Everything is busy!

5. I think they like me at work, as they told me "you can never leave!" and I am not even through my probationary period yet. Also, I have clients and things, and apparently I am way ahead of schedule in that whole training area. So things seem to be going well, and I think I like it, and it pretty much consumes my brain. Well, the following items consume my brain: loving my husband, the pets, art, my job, how to get the pets to behave, blogs, caffeine, and searching for the perfect cat necklace. But I think it is good, to be okay with my job and to be challenged by it, and also to be liked by the coworkers. I have never had a job before where I wasn't bored or antsy. I have never had a job where I realized it was after five, and thought I should stay for ten more minutes to finish what I was doing. Normally I have been of the "OH GEEZ IT IS FIVE I MUST GET OUT OF HERE RUN RUN RUN." So it's interesting, and I really and honestly like having a job and working hard. And I like learning things. And hopefully things will stay good and pleasant.

Hey, so, here are some questions! Do you paint your toenails or fingernails? What is on your nightstand, assuming you have one? What are you doing this weekend? I'll go first!

I had my toenails painted pretty much all through high school and college and after college. Two or three years ago I stopped, and only paint them every great now and then. Like...twice since then. I like how they look natural, for some reason, but maybe that's from years of painted toes. My fingernails I don't paint anymore either, unless you count "clear" which I have done two or three times in as many years. I mostly cut them off as soon as they annoy me, which is pretty much anytime they grow longer than the tips of my finger. On my nightstand is a lamp, a ceramic bowl I made with chapstick and some loose change, a box my brother bought for me in the middle east, a season of King of the Hill on DVD, a season of News Radio, my glasses, a hair elastic, and a book of Kafka stories. This weekend, we are going shopping, and I am working on the Christmas float at work, and I will blog and clean the house and oh GEEZ I have got to get to work!

Your turn,
black sheeped

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for Friday questions!

I never paint my fingernails because I hate how quickly they chip. I got a French manicure for my wedding and even though I paid an ungodly amount for it, it chipped the night of the wedding.

I usually paint my toenails because I have freaky-looking toes, and just having color makes them look better. But, I removed the polish a few days ago and haven't gotten around to doing a new color, so my toes are natural for now.

On my nightstand is Jodi Picoult's book Nineteen Minutes, the alarm clock, a tube of Carmex, a pen, and for some reason, a book of Mad Libs.

This weekend is totally free and we're free of obligations. All we need to do is get some groceries and then we might shop, watch some football, play some cribbage and gin rummy, and watch some bad movies.

On Sunday, I'm going to attempt to make chicken saltimbocca and then we're going to see the Dropkick Murphys. And then I have Monday off, which totally, totally rocks.

8:59 AM, November 09, 2007  
Blogger aurantifolia said...

Mani/pedi: only infrequently. No nightstand. :/ My weekend is: going to have a filling repaired at the dentist, driving three hours to see my husband, and going to keep my mother company while my hubby and dad go to close up the cottage for winter. I live a wild life.

Also: I re-read what I commented yesterday and am sorry if I came off rude or militant. I speak only for myself. I just really get bothered by people who assume my life is so empty without children. Other people *need* children, and I respect that; I'm just not one of them.

Also also: a necklace for cats, or a necklace for *you* with a cat motif?

9:27 AM, November 09, 2007  
Blogger Black Sheeped said...

Well, I'm not sure which is lamer, but I meant a necklace with a cat motif. :)

12:34 PM, November 09, 2007  
Blogger Tess said...

I never paint my fingernails, but I do paint my toenails in the summer since I like to wear sandals. In the winter that sort of...falls off.

Nightstand: Video baby monitor, lamp, DOILY (SHUT UP), water bottle, Flintstones vitamins

Weekend: Shampooing carpets. Unfortunate puke incident made decidedly WORSE by attempt to cover with cinnamon air freshner.

1:20 PM, November 09, 2007  
Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

Kara, I'm so glad to hear that your new job is working out so wonderfully for you. You seem very content with it.

I like the Target jacket. It's pretty.

Onto the questions. I used to keep my toenails painted all the time. It's much harder with a child now. I paint them occassionally in the summer. I can't remember the last time I painted my fingernails. It's just too much upkeep.

My nightstand is technically the side of my dresser by my bed. I have an alarm clock, water jug, lamp, remote control (when it's not on Matt's side), and hand lotion.

This weekend we have an early family Thanksgiving dinner. So we'll stay at my parents tomorrow night after that. On Sunday afternoon we're going to see my mom in a performance of Cinderella. She's playing the evil step-mother. And Zachariah is staying with Matt's parents, so I'm sure they'll have fun for the few hours we're away.

2:03 PM, November 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never paint fingernails b/c they chip too fast and I think that looks trashy. I always always always have my toes painted (bright green at the moment) b/c I hate feet and I think polish is a good way to make ugly feet (which I think all feet are) look a teensy bit better.

On the nightstand is my clock, 2 tv remotes and one for the fan, tube of Burts Bees, and innumerable baby toys.

This weekend we're pretty open other than my mom making a surprise visit on Sunday and then staying a whole week so I don't have to spend yet another week alone trapped with the toddler. WOO HOO for Mom!

2:05 PM, November 09, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

Damn you! I've been TERRIFIED of cats my whole life, but because of the way you love your little guys (even when they are evil), I desperately want a kitty. DESPERATELY.

I never paint my fingernails; they are oddly shaped and I have weird, skinny, wrinkled old-lady hands. Why draw attention to these?

I do paint my toenails all the time though. Usually fancypants red.

My nightstand? A huge lamp, my glasses, my watch, and a bottle of melatonin. I am searching for an alarm clock with 4-inch tall numbers in pretty BLUE. Four-inches are mandatory if I am to actually see the time without my glasses, and blue seems so less pissy and angry than red numbers.

This weekend? Driving up to the northwestern-centralish part of the state to visit A.'s family.

2:30 PM, November 09, 2007  
Blogger Black Sheeped said...

A) I completely panic when my lip balm (Burt's Bees) gets moved from the nightstand, because OH NO HOW CAN I SLEEP WITH DRY LIPS?!

B) You guys are so smart, with your clocks. Ours is on J's side, and since we are both pretty blind if I want to know what time it is I have to wake him up, and then HE has to lean right over it and tell me. He loves that. It happened this morning at 4:17 when I groaned in agony, "WHAT TIME IS IT, IS IT SIX?!"

C) I bought a yellow Target coat tonight, and feel no shame/remorse over it. Even though yellow is the one color I should never, ever wear.

10:23 PM, November 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TARGET IS NEVER LAME. Also, I love that coat AND that color, but yellow sounds awesome.

I love your Friday questions.

1) I do paint my toenails, because I agree with Shelly about feet. Then I keep meaning to repaint them, and meanwhile all the polish chips off, and then I finally do repaint them. I like to have my fingernails painted, but I can't keep up with the maintenance right now. I keep meaning to do it, though.

2) Bedside table:
-one lamp with non-working bulb
-three books I'm half reading
-one Sudoko book I lost interest in after the baby was born
-three towels to stuff under my shirt in the night if there is Milk Leakage
-two alarm clocks, one of which has a better alarm but doesn't glow, and the other of which has an inferior alarm but glows

I would like to keep lip balm, paper, and a pen there, but the twins keep stealing them.

3) This weekend I am working on blogging. Also: eating Halloween candy.

For a minute I thought you meant the bowl was made OUT OF chapstick and loose change.

11:11 AM, November 10, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

Swistle: Me too!
I RARELY paint my fingernails. I used to go all funky and blue in high school, but then grew up, had some babies, and realized that a manicure is pointless when you're washing diaper germs off your hands roughly twelve times a day.
On my (dustless and polished) nightstand is a lamp and a set of three matching candlesticks in varying heights, all decorator-style. That is because we are having an open house tomorrow. Ordinarily there would also be a glass of water, my glasses, some kind of hand lotion, and at least three hair elastics. Maybe- just maybe- even a recklessly empty condom package!
This weekend we are cleaning out the garage, cleaning the house, and then shuttling the kids off to Grandma's house so we can let strangers walk around and poke through our stuff. Wah-hoo.

3:37 PM, November 10, 2007  
Blogger email said...

Toenails in the summer.

Nightstand - Part of my TBR pile of books, which overflows onto my dresser and my husband's dresser. Alarm clock. Baby monitor. Bottle of water. TV clickers (note they're on MY nightstand, not my husband's). A couple of hair elastics and a nail file.

I just spent today doing 2 soccer games, an end of soccer season pizza party, and wrapping presents then toting a kid to and from a birthday party. Tomorrow, I will drag three of the four munchkins to church and then hopefully do absolutely NOTHING.

8:10 PM, November 10, 2007  
Blogger aurantifolia said...

Kara -- it's not lame. :)

Tell me moaaaarh about this 'perfect cat necklace'....

8:39 PM, November 10, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

So uhmmm, gross. My toenails were painted in AUGUST and there are still remnants of that pink on them. I NEVER paint my fingernails. I ABHOR the feeling of polish on my fingernails. They feel like they are suffocating.

No nightstand. On my headboard is an alarm clock and a box of wipes. EXCITING!

It is the weekend because I read the post and had to leave the house and volunteer in my daughter's preschool class and then I forgot to respond when I got back because 10 special needs kids, wooooooooo! CRAZINESS!. Today we went to the dump because we live too far out for trash service, then we took four huge bags of clothes to Goodwill, ate lunch at A&W, went to Walmart to buy a leash for the dog that adopted us and then came home and soon we are going to watch a movie and eat homemade popcorn.

Tomorrow...uhmm.. Cleaning out the truck and taking the boat for a cruise so the bottom doesn't get fouled.

I wonder if the dog gets sea sick.
What is on your nightstand, assuming you have one? What are you doing this weekend? I'll go first!

8:46 PM, November 10, 2007  
Blogger Penny said...

Do the toenails but not the fingernails, but not even the toenails lately because I haven't had time.

3:01 PM, November 11, 2007  
Blogger Jess said...

I have a winter coat from Target, and I love it and it keeps me warm. And I also got it because it was a great color.

The weekend is over so I will skip that question, but for the others--I hardly paint my nails at all, but when I do, it's always the toenails and sometimes also the fingernails. My nightstand has a lamp, a clock, my birth control pills, and a box of tissues, and also sometimes a book.

6:38 PM, November 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com