baa baa black sheep

3.12.2007

Spiral

7:16 a.m.

Dear Daylight Savings Time,

YOU ARE KILLING ME.

Ugh,
Black Sheep

Dear everything else,

This weekend I made an effort to relax. Because it seems as if things are quickly going to spiral into madness in the next few weeks, and I thought I should relax first. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with my annual spring headache. I suspect it is allergy/sinus related, as my eyes are also burning and my face itches, but even when I pop Sudafed Sinus Headache like Skittles, I can't shake it. This headache has freaked me out in previous years (like last year, when it brought on the migraine medication fiasco), but I'm finally seeing the pattern with the time of year and the blooming of....things.

I'm a slow learner when it comes to headaches and sage brush.

But, no. The weekend was good, even with the persistent headache. Quality Justin time. Saw a movie. Successfully made my mom's chicken and dumplings, FROM SCRATCH.

I'm only working today and tomorrow this week. It's spring break, and business is dead. Therefore I was told to take some time off work. I wanted to go see my family, but couldn't spare the money for a plane ticket (stupid no insurance but needing to see a gynecologist, and stupid forced time off). (Did you know it's 300 dollars to see one in this town? I'm driving over the mountain to go to another town.) Plus, while Justin is busily using this week to finish writing his thesis (let's all wish him easy-thesis-writing, shall we?) I am going to do some really fun things, like de-clutter the house, room by room. And probably order about fourteen tons of rock, for some landscaping. And work on wedding kegger invitations. And go talk to places about wedding cupcake towers.

Justin's mom thinks we should go talk to a realtor soon about putting the house back on the market. I'll admit this makes my head feel like it's going to explode, when I think about the yard work that needs done, and Justin needs to take that Deep Throat poster down from the den, and the massive decluttering, and then the locating of cardboard boxes, and how we don't know where we're moving, etc, etc. I mean. I keep the house pretty clean. But people who are house viewing are CRAZY, right? Isn't that what all those house selling shows teach us? That the sight of a magazine laying on a coffee table will make prospective buyers run screaming from the neighborhood?

It'll be fine.

This weekend I did achieve a moment, when someone asked if I was stressed about what was happening, if I was worried about how we don't know where we're going. I had a moment where I shrugged and said, "Whatever." And alcohol was not even involved. I hope that moment comes back soon. Or repeats itself a few times. I think it will.

Spring break!

Whoooo!

Right?

Whoooooo!

And now for some lame shopping talk. Justin, stop reading. You won't be interested. I swear.

Hey, so, while all this is going on, I do have some positive things to say about the products I am using. And some positive shopping experiences. Which sounds shallow, but really, I'll take what I can get. In a time of stress, it's nice to know I can count on my face and hair products. Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser, you guys. It smells SO GOOD. And feels SO GOOD. And I love the hand creme. And the whole line of make-up. And the tinted moisturizer, which is so light and non-stressful to sensitive skin I would make out with it if it wouldn't get a little messy and totally taste like moisturizer. Gross. I'm just saying, though. When you get tired of what you're using, try it out. You'll want to MARRY IT ALL. THE WHOLE LINE.

Mmm.

See, I'm sort of tired of using products that don't work very well, and I certainly have gotten tired of having a closet full of clothes that I am holding onto for the following awesome reasons:

1) I think I may need to wear this again someday, if I ever get invited to a beach themed 80's party
2) I may need to keep these pants because I magically am going to become MUCH MUCH SMALLER overnight
3) I may need to keep these pants because I magically am going to become MUCH MUCH LARGER overnight
4) I am keeping this because it reminds me of the time I wore this shirt while I hung out with that one person, which wasn't that meaningful but it was sort of fun at the time.

None of these seem to be good reasons.

I decided a few months ago to buy a lot of new clothing, because: this is the size I am. I like how I am. I want to feel good in what I wear. So I ordered some skirts, some pants, bought a few dresses, ordered some new shoes. Justin contributed with some awesome birthday shirts. And I'm trying to slowly get rid of anything in the closet that doesn't make me feel awesome when I put it on.

Isn't that a healthy goal?

Eh?

EH?

And you know what? I'm totally in love with Victoria's Secret clothing. I've always worn the undies and loved the bras, but now I'm a believer in the pants. I've spent humiliating amounts of time perusing the clearance site, and dealt with their super slow shipping, but it seems worth it. I never thought their clothing would fit well, because, you know. You see those models, and think, I am WAY too hippy for that. Because those models are out of control. But, you guys! No! The pants are good for my ultra-curvy self. And they have different length inseams. Even a 30 inch inseam (my legs are short and my torso, it is long).

Hooray!

And! You guys!

I totally ordered a couple swimsuits from them. I know, right? Scary. Because swimsuit shopping is HARD. And ordering something without trying it on? STUPID. But, I figured, swimsuits are pretty similar to underwear and bras, and I wear those. So let's use that knowledge to order a swimsuit. And if you order two pieces from them, you can say, okay, I wear a 34C and a size 8 or 10 bottom in this style, but maybe a 12 in this style. And order them. And they fit!

I was nervous about it, but we are going to Hawaii. And the thought of taking my pale pasty winter-tummied self into a dressing room with swimsuits was depressing, to say the least. And now! I have two of the best-fitting swimsuits I've ever owned. And they are bikinis, and I don't look gross in them at all. I felt sort of hot in them. And that's saying a lot, especially since my skin is currently such a white-white it could blind a person standing fifty feet away. And also, see above for "winter tummy."

And they were awesomely cheap. Each part (top, bottom) cost 8-10 bucks. Cheap!

Isn't that exciting?

I don't think I've ever felt good in a swimsuit before, even at my skinniest.

Good with white skin and winter tummy! And cheap!

I can't repeat that enough.

I have to go to work.

So.

That's all the news.

All the exciting headache/moving/thesis/bikini news you can handle!

(I'm really glad we're moving. I just have to do one day at a time. But I am soooooooooooo glad we are moving.)

Love,
black sheep

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

That's actually really awesome about the Burt's Bee's and the clothes. It seems shallow, but it is undeniable that when your clothes fit well and your moisturizer actually moisturizes, the world does seem a better place.

9:57 AM, March 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Burt's Bees honey chapstick and strawberry lip balm are super thumbs up. Oh! And the banana hand cream, even banana hand cream seems like some kind of accidental innudendo, but probably just to me.

Anyway, I'm that myspace message creep and I hope you don't think I'm a superstalker. I've missed reading you, I relate to a lot of what you write about.

I have one of these bloggers but I've never gotten around to writing anything in it.

10:08 AM, March 12, 2007  
Blogger Swistle said...

These are so many exciting things! Burt's Bees! New clothes philosophy leading to better clothes! Chicken and dumplings! Cute inexpensive swimsuits!

Except the health insurance. But! One happy thought for bad health insurance times. When we went without it for awhile, I used to freak every time one of us had to go to the doctor ("$100 just to check my cough?? And then $90 for the antibiotic??"), but the reassuring thought was that even paying full price for medical services was LESS expensive than even just our portion of paying for health insurance. And if you bought health insurance on your own, without the employer paying any? Whoo! Super bad! Makes $300 seem like a 75%-off Target clearance!

11:14 AM, March 12, 2007  
Blogger Black Sheeped said...

Siobhan! You came!

Hey, remember Xanga? Remember 40 comments on posts where I talked AN AWFUL LOT LIKE THIS?

Oh, Xanga.

OH, BLOGGER.

1:26 PM, March 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com