baa baa black sheep

10.28.2007

Accomplishments

(Once again, I love love loved all the comments on the last post. Especially how vehement everyone got about their least favorite nuts.)

This weekend we accomplished a lot of things I had listed. We saw a movie, and I finished a few paintings that have been sitting around for weeks while J worked on a story. We went grocery shopping and got food that can be crockpotted, so that means we can eat less frozen pizza this week. I didn't spend much time at the computer, and therefore failed miserably at my computery goals. Some fun unexpected accomplishments this weekend, however, did involve:

a) Making Cab an appointment to get neutered on Thursday, because it turns out he was vasectomied, in some sort of weird dog vasectomy procedure. And therefore, he still has all his dog junk, and I want it gone, all gone, to avoid doggie territorial stupidness. When I called the vet they laughed and laughed, and also admitted they had never heard of a vasectomy vs. a complete castration for a dog, but I googled it, and also, the shelter lady told us, and also, he still has balls. I don't know why someone would DO that, unless it was to keep him aggressive as the previous owner had tried to make him a "guard dog," which is hilarious since the most violent thing he has done is to try to maybe kiss us (gross). At any rate, it was a stupid decision and we're getting the full snip.

b) Speaking of weird pet situations created by the new dog, we came home from the movie this afternoon to find that Cab had consumed anywhere from 50 to 150 watermelon flavored Tootsie Rolls. (We know this because we counted the remaining soggy candies.) BECAUSE HE IS AN IDIOT. We were pretty worried, until later when he puked up a huuuuuuge pile of candy wrappers and a slimy mixture of candy and dog kibble. I cleaned it up, and it smelled vaguely of watermelon, and then he took a really long nap. And now he would like to play and also eat a steak, thank you very much. We told him that bad dogs who eat unfortunate Halloween candy choices consequently will be turned into EUNUCHS, but he was unimpressed and decided to spoon with the other dog. The end.

c) Also, because I can not tell a "P" from a "G" on road maps, we got fairly turned around on some Iowa gravel county roads today. J says we were not "lost", just that we "did not know where we were." Mostly because the roads we ended up using were not on the map, at all, ever, but because J knows things like "directions" and "how to ignore me" we got home safely. We saw a lot of corn fields, during our getting lost adventure, and a lot of ponds, and it was pretty good.

d) And, um, hey! Tonight I got my Etsy shop up and going again, and even listed a few new little things. I can't believe how much I slacked off there for a while, but it's back now. I still have three or four pieces I'm trying to finish before I move on, so I expect to continue listing new items in the nearish future.

e) Also, I'm sick and have a fever and am losing my voice and I feel gross. I thought my immune system was being all hardcore and awesome, and there was NO WAY I would EVER get that cold/flu that was going around two weeks ago, but...whoops! Way to go, Kara, bragging about your immune system! It showed you!

f) Finally, for your reading/viewing pleasure, I will now display a photo essay about our pumpkin carving event on Saturday night. J is allergic to pumpkin, so he took lots and lots of photos while I worked labored away.

I like this picture, because you can see that I already have pumpkin on my shirt. But I don't like this picture, because I realize that this is the view of me my husband most often has, and I don't think it's flattering:
























After I scooped out the gunk, we drew lots and lots of "sketches" of "ideas." This activity quickly spun out of control, and we were giggling wildly and most of the photos of the sketches are too, um, adult themed for me to post. This is the only one that was safe, I think.

(Weird fact! In sixth grade I got in trouble a lot in math class for holding writing utensils incorrectly. Therefore I altered it slightly, but I still don't know that I hold pens correctly. Also: what a stupid thing to get in trouble over.)



















We couldn't decide on a pumpkin theme, until a Godzilla song came on, and I shrieked and decided WE WERE DEFINITELY DOING GODZILLA ON THE PUMPKIN. J got out a Godzilla for inspiration. Also, J told me that middle drawing looked like a platypus.


























This is when I was giggling so hard at J's drawings that I wasn't paying attention to how I was mutilating the poor pumpkin:




















This is when I got ready to carve, and also when Godzilla started showing up in ALL OF THE PHOTOS.





































To do nostrils, I first tried a chopstick, and then thought of this:




















More Godzilla:




















And...more. I love my husband.



















My husband made this with candle wax. It's a pumpkin. He likes to dump wax out of candles because the pooled wax bugs him. It doesn't bug me.




















Hey, that looks just like Godzilla, right?




















You guys don't even know how many photos like this are now on my hard drive:



















Sooooo, the final product looked like this:





















I know it really doesn't look much like Godzilla, but there's a sort of faint resemblance, right? Right?

You can totally see it,
black sheeped

9 Comments:

Blogger email said...

That. Is an awesome pumpkin!

6:31 AM, October 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) I love these photos.

2) While the pumpkin does not look like Godzilla PER SE, it does look

a) scary
b) nicely done

7:58 AM, October 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the photos! You and J. are totally awesome.

And I have a question about how you hold your writing utensils: do you get that little bump from holding your pen on your ring finger? Most people, if they get the bump at all, get it on their middle finger, but if you're a freak like me (who also got in trouble in grade school for holding her pencil wrong), you get it on your ring finger.

Tell me! We can be writing freaks together!

9:40 AM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger Jess said...

A dog VASECTOMY? Oh my god. Also, I love the tootsie roll story.

And to P&D, I hold my pen on my ring finger and yes, I have that little bump. So maybe there will be a whole group of us writing freaks.

10:36 AM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

I'm short and my husband is tall, too. He likes it from that view, hahaha.

Love the etsy shop! My fave is sneak. I have to talk my husband into it.

11:00 AM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger Marie Green said...

More doggie drama! Love!

Also, I DO see Godzilla in your pumpkin. I like the little Godzilla paws (? claws?) off the the sides- very nice.

Also, pickles and dimes, I get a writing bump on my ring finger TOO, only on my right hand, because I'm right handed (duh). Remember those triangles to help you hold the pencil right? Those always confused me...

Off to check out Etsy...

12:39 PM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger Banana said...

Totally Godzilla-y. Nice work team J and K!

2:40 PM, October 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure that your pumpkin looks like Godzilla.

However, I am sure that your pumpkin looks like Trogdor the Burninator, as featured in Strongbad's communications with the world via Homestarrunner.com

This makes your pumpkin completely and utterly awesome.

A bit like cheeseburger cake.

3:44 PM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger Black Sheeped said...

I do have the bump on my ring finger, caused by basically holding my pen in an awkward FIST. Hooray, I'm not the only one!

9:48 PM, October 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com