baa baa black sheep

10.31.2007

Halloween

Last night was our town's trick or treating, and my husband and I sat upstairs close to the front door, our Halloween decorations all lit up, our porch light on, our front door open so that trick or treaters would see the storm door and lights inside, anxiously waiting with a big bowl of candy. We waited and waited, for three hours, and got one (1) trick or treater. Which: lame! Of course, I know we don't live on a street that has "sidewalks" or "other houses that were participating" and I know we are new in town and many parents only approve houses of people they know. I understand all that. But I thought we'd still get the too-old-teenager trick or treaters, and a handful of regular trick or treaters. It was disappointing, a little. After it was over we opened a beer and watched Beetlejuice and went to bed.

Now we have all this candy. I guess we should have dumped the whole bowl into that little girl's sack, yes?

The dogs seem to be okay. I talked to our vet on the phone for a long time, and I think everything is going okay, as seeds have stopped exiting Monk's body in a gross intestinal seed exorcism. J wanted me to point out that in yesterday's post I used the word "sprinkling" to describe the seed pooping, but I should have used the word "spraying"or perhaps even "violent spraying." And I didn't get to take a lunch yesterday, either, and due to trick or treating time, it was dark by the time I got out last night, so I can't tell you whether or not the birds ate the seed poop. Hopefully I will get home for lunch today, and I'll check out the seed situation. I know you are all waiting anxiously to hear about that.

Happy Halloween!
black sheeped

8 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I hate waiting around for trick or treaters and getting...nothing. You should still turn everything on tonight and have your candy ready since maybe people in your town still trick or treat on you know, Halloween?

I actually really want to know about the status of your backyard and the seed poop. I know, I have no life. sad.

10:24 AM, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Jess said...

I actually AM waiting to hear about the seed poop. I am a little bit sad that I have to wait. Also, one trick-or-treater is better than none!

11:23 AM, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Black Sheeped said...

I don't know which is worse--that you guys are waiting to hear, or that I made sure to inspect the yard for you. :) There are still piles of seed everywhere, as of 12:37 p.m. today. But they are mostly hidden by leaves--unfortunately, I just noticed our elderly neighbor painstakingly picking up each leaf that blows from our messy yard into her meticulous yard (by hand), so I think we're going to have to rake tonight. And the seed poop will be there, waiting.

Ugh!

12:38 PM, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Jess said...

Damn! I was so hoping this would not be the case. Maybe the seed poop will just sort of... rake up with the leaves.

1:49 PM, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Tess said...

He's right, you SHOULD have said "violently spraying" because that is even MORE hilarious! HAHAHA!

1:50 PM, October 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally forgot that where you live, people trick-or-treat on the night before Halloween. How could I not remember?

The other thing that we did weird when I lived there was this: when we went trick or treating, you walked up to the house, knocked on the door, the person answered, and you had to tell them a joke before you got your candy. I've talked to people from all over the country and no one else had ever heard of such a thing. It's just what we did. The jokes were lame "why did the man put the car in the oven? because he wanted a hot rod!!" but we found them to be hilarious. I should have written your holiday blog about that particular tradition to see if I am the only one. Maybe we could address it tomorrow or the next day, if it's not too late?

1:50 PM, October 31, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

"violently spraying"

A. laughed so hard last night when I told him about this he started crying. CRYING.

He wondered if you'd have random sunflowers sprouting next spring.

I am sorry there weren't any trick or treaters. We don't get any, either. We will have one bag of candy, just in case, though!

2:09 PM, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Marie Green said...

I'm thinking you may still get some tonight?? B/c I'd be one of the lame moms that didn't know the town was doing it a day early. (You did have your porch/front door light on, right? That is the universal sign that "kids can get free candy here" right?)

Oh sh*t. I hope our town DIDN'T have it yesterday... now I've got this weird feeling in my stomach...

5:25 PM, October 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com