baa baa black sheep

1.08.2008

Wednesday

It seems inappropriate when a group of pharmacists get into a loud (involving shouting across rooms to each other) discussion of whether or not the remainder of your prescription will arrive on Wednesday or Friday or next week (after being given a bottle that says "owes 40"), because Adderall is a controlled substance that requires a different order form/shipment. However, it only seems inappropriate when someone says, "I think it'll come with the others tomorrow," and another pharmacist snorts/exclaims loudly in reply, "A narcotic?! I don't think so."

This would have felt less inappropriate, also, if I didn't live in a tiny town, and if the pharmacy wasn't completely packed with waiting customers. And if the whole place wasn't open and tiny, and if the whole place hadn't heard this conversation because how could they help it?

I trudged to my car feeling irritated and glum, partially because I remembered the sort of negatively surprised face my dad had when he learned of my prescription at Christmas, and I remembered how he then asked my mom something like, "Isn't that the addictive stuff all those kids are getting into trouble for selling?"

In other, non-medication-stimagtized news, last night I did some stuff to the bathroom floor. And then I had scheduled Painting Time, due to my New Year's Resolution of Painting Intensity, and that was good. Also, this morning the dogs are sleeping in (I don't blame them, because the bed? the bed was so soft and warm, and leaving it was a tragedy, a veritable tragedy), and it is 7:03 and they are still refusing to budge. This is a magical occurance.

One that would never, ever, EVER happen on a Saturday morning.

Kisses,
black sheeped

9 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

You hear stories about pharmacists loudly discussing the purchase of condoms or pregnancy tests, but actual prescription medications? Don't they have class on ethics and privacy in pharmacy school? My god.

7:27 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Shelly said...

That's pretty shockingly unprofessional. I would make a complaint to the head pharmacist, I think. Or call the customer service line if it's a chain pharmacy like CVS or Eckerds.

8:35 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger email said...

That yelling must be a common pharmacist practice. I always hear them yelling across the pharmacy about stuff, no matter which pharmacy I'm in.

8:43 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Shannon said...

So much for HIPPA, huh?

Why is it that both kids and dogs only want to sleep in during the week but on the weekend, they love to be up at the butt crack of dawn?

10:57 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger jen said...

Now look what you made me do.

That stinks about the pharmacy though. I can't believe some people. If it's a chain, definitely complain up the line!

11:03 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger artemisia said...

I am always struck speechless by the level of unprofessionalism in small towns.

Jeezuz. I am so sorry.

11:09 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Pickles and Dimes said...

If you don't hate confrontation (like me), I'd complain. That's just totally unprofessional.

And why it is animals are all hyper way before it's time to get up, and then when you finally do, they crash?

11:52 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Swistle said...

Oh my god, that is so bad.

Did WHAT to your bathroom floor? We need DETAILS.

1:21 PM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Beth said...

Real unprofessional and illegal under HIPAA from your pharmacists. You might take one aside for a polite talk about you would prefer that your medications not be discussed in the hearing of other customers. Just a polite hint.

They do it at my pharmacy all the time, too. I've just gotten used to it. I can't change their behavior, even after asking for and signing a HIPAA form. Sigh.

2:35 AM, January 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com