baa baa black sheep

12.09.2007

Sunday

Sunday night

I worked all week, and then it was my first Saturday to work, during some more drizzly ice/snow, and then I felt sort of crazy and edgy. I still felt crazy and edgy when I got up today. We mostly finished our Christmas shopping, and I mostly finished Christmas cards, and I got the house mostly clean, and the laundry mostly done. It snowed more, and then this afternoon my sister called to say my dad was in the hospital because of chest pain and arm pain. They did an angiogram, and found a blockage, and are calling it some sort of "heart incident" and recommending he change his lifestyle, etc, and sent him home. They said his heart is strong, but he should change what he's putting into his body.

I felt pretty awful while waiting for the results of the angiogram, and am pretty damn glad he's okay. It was sort of horrible being too far away to get down there, and even if I had jumped in my car there was an ice storm, and it all made me feel icky and I am so, so glad he is okay.

So that's on my mind tonight, and I feel not very post-y. I had things I wanted to write about, but I feel very sober and grateful.

Plus, my husband is nice.

I finally got my power cord but am behind on things, especially on non-computery things, and I thought I'd share a tiny video from Saturday night of our two eighty pound dogs, or "the reasons we can not have nice things." Also, warning, I am in it. If you want to pretend that I a) am not slovenly on Friday night after working all day and then trying to clean a house or b) my hair does not normally really need brushing, then don't watch it. Also: please be prepared for a) me wearing super huge men's sweatpants I got on clearance at Old Navy b) me looking disgusting and c) my hair in even more need of brushing than it normally is.

The dogs only really have one trick that is consistent, and that is sitting. Only Monk lays down instead of sitting, and he also knows "get your head down" as chronicled here. Lately I have been teaching him to wait before he can eat a treat, and Cab is learning "down" and "wait" as well. It's not easy, because Cab is a snatcher, and he freaks out and WANTS THE DAMN TREAT NOW and gets all twitchy.

So, um. Here is their only stupid trick:



In short: I'm hoping to be feeling better in the next few days, and to not feel as crazy. I'm hoping I'm being all hormonally insane, because, as my husband put it, lately all I have been doing is "either yelling or crying." He was right; I don't like myself like this. We're supposed to get more ice this week, and today we have icy fog, which is interesting. I'm feeling tired and all bllllllllleeeeeeeeergh, and I wish I could stop crying, but Christmas is coming and I'm pretty excited about some of the gifts we found for people. The Xanax is helping a ton. So is my husband.

And I'm glad my dad is okay. Did I mention that part? I'm really glad.

Love,
black sheeped

13 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

I'm glad that your dad is okay too. And I hope for you all the same things that you hope for yourself.

2:00 PM, December 10, 2007  
Blogger el-e-e said...

oh! my dad had his heart issue three years ago at this same time of year and it was, indeed, very sobering. (He's fine now, too.) Glad your dad is okay.

2:05 PM, December 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad had heart problems too (2 heart attacks, triple bypass and implanted difibrillator), so I'm here if you need me. It's terrifying, isn't it?

2:09 PM, December 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to say how cute your boys are!!! You can tell it is totally killing Cab to wait but he did it. You sound just like I thought you would.

2:11 PM, December 10, 2007  
Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

Kara, you are too cute. The video was lovely. Cab acts like my dog...anxious and not very patient.

So happy that your dad is well.

2:26 PM, December 10, 2007  
Blogger artemisia said...

I am so glad your papa is okay. Will he heed the doctor's advice and watch his diet? My papa would - for about two weeks. *sigh*

The pups are awesome! Buster's head would simply EXPLODE if I insisted he look at and smell his J-E-R-K-Y but not touch it. Just getting him to "lay down" first is hard; he looks like he is bowing (sp?) all the time. He lays down for a split second, starts to sit up, then remembers he's supposed to be laying down, so he lays down again for a split second and this goes on OVER AND OVER until A. or I break and just give him the damn J-E-R-K-Y already.

Love these goofballs!

2:30 PM, December 10, 2007  
Blogger Shelly said...

So glad your dad is okay. Thinking of you.

3:54 PM, December 10, 2007  
Blogger Pickles and Dimes said...

I'm so glad your dad is OK.

And the dogs are totally awesome!

4:57 PM, December 10, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

So glad that your dad is doing okay. Are you allowed to nag him about how he eats? No? Well, then secretly clean out all dangerous food (chocolate, potato chips, etc) every time you visit and drop it off at a food kitchen.

Loved your boys. Cab's ears are wonderful. If people had dog ears, that's the kind I would want.

Ice storms are a good time to call in to work and stay home with your loving husband, who has also called in sick.

12:02 AM, December 11, 2007  
Blogger Rick said...

Black Sheep? You might like my post on Sept. 25th. Right up your alley.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

12:54 AM, December 11, 2007  
Blogger aurantifolia said...

Glad your dad is gonna be okay. I hope he obeys the doc (my dad is bad about obeying).

I agree with pixelpi about the ears. I want a set of the flappy ears, too.
:)

Oh, a patient husband, one who bears the storms of temporary irrationality! I'm thankful for mine every day. :)

2:28 AM, December 11, 2007  
Blogger Swistle said...

It is so freaky to see you in motion and to hear your actual VOICE!

I'm glad about your dad, too.

6:58 PM, December 12, 2007  
Blogger Swistle said...

BTW, everybody: Kara Marie was in the major ice storm and only has email access (but no blog access) from work. So it may be awhile before she can post again.

6:59 PM, December 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com